We’ve been wondering, when did tanning become popular? We decided to take a look at how spray tanning evolved. We give you:
A Timeline of the History of Fake Tan:
- Before 1920: being tan is a sign of poverty. Pale, porcelain skin is the desire of most.
- 1923: Coco Chanel walks the Cannes red carpet with a bronzed glow- a glow that was picked up mistakenly while yachting through the French Riviera.
- Day after Cannes, 1923: Everybody wants a bronzed glow
- 1950s: Women use tea bags to achieve a tan skin tone
- 1960s: A product emerges using DHA, which interacts with amino acids on the skin’s surface to induce a browning effect.
- 1980s: Doctors wise up and begin reporting on the negative consequences caused by too much time in the sun. Cue tanning beds- the first solution to achieving a glow without spending hours under the sun.
- 1990s: Experts refine DHA products, finding ways to reduce the orange staining effect
- Today: Sunless, DHA product proliferation. As everyone searched for the best spray tan solution on the market, spray tan products evolved rapidly. Suddenly, products were available to create a tanning base, to properly exfoliate, to secure the tan and keep skin in shape for the best results.
Artesian Tan found its niche with equipment and products just as the market really began to care about specialty. For any spray tan need you might have, we offer an elite solution. Be sure to check out our online store and make the most of your tan, every tan.